Title Processing & Services
How can we help you today?
I Just Purchased or Refinanced My Car
Congratulations on your new vehicle! How is your title work handled?
- Dealership Purchase: If you purchased your vehicle from a local dealership, they’ll submit your title paperwork to your local DMV on your behalf with GECU listed as first lien holder. Should there be a delay, contact the dealer to confirm they’ve submitted the necessary paperwork to the DMV.
- Private Seller: If you purchased your vehicle from a private seller, General Electric Credit Union (GECU) will process your title work. On rare occasions, we may need your assistance in completing the title work; should that be the case, we’ll notify you.
- Refinanced from Another Financial Institution: If you refinanced with us from another institution, verify with them that the title was mailed to GECU.
I’m Preparing to or Just Paid Off My Loan
You’ve paid off your loan. That’s exciting! Now what?
Upon the payoff of your loan, your lien release/title will be mailed to your address on file 10 business days after the loan is paid off.
Note: We do not store titles at GECU office locations; they are not available for pick-up.
Loan Payoff FAQs
Why don’t you have my title?
The Credit Union has partnered with DealerTrack, an industry-leader in title processing and management. Our titles are processed and managed in a centralized location by representatives who have experience with handling titles in all 50 states, making the process more efficient as they’re familiar with each state’s requirements and fees.
How do I get my title?
The process varies depending on the state in which you reside, but generally the lien holder (GECU) will notify your state’s DMV, either electronically or by submitting paperwork indicating you have paid off your loan. There may be a delay to ensure the funds clear your account and to allow for the processing of the title paperwork. For our most common states:
- Ohio: After receiving documentation indicating your lien has been satisfied, you may exchange it at any County Clerk of Courts Title Office for a clear, paid-in-full title (fees may be charged by the Title Office).
- Indiana: After receiving documentation indicating your lien has been satisfied, you may visit your local Titling Office to apply for a new title (fees may be charged by the Title Office).
- Kentucky: After your loan is paid off, we’ll issue a Termination Statement. In the state of Kentucky, you hold the paper title; keep your Termination Statement with your paper title until you’re ready to trade-in or sell your vehicle.
What is an electronic title?
The Electronic Lien and Title Program is a method by which some state BMV’s and lending institutions (lienholders) can exchange vehicle and title information electronically. The BMV transmits information electronically to the lienholder which eliminates the need to print and mail paper titles. Once the loan has been satisfied, the lienholder sends an electronic message releasing the title.
How long will it take to get my title/lien release?
After the loan is paid in full, there is a standard 10-business day processing period and then your title/lien release will be mailed to the address we have on file.
After the 10-business day processing period, can I pick up my title at a GECU office location?
Unfortunately, no. We do not store titles at GECU office locations. Your lien release/title will be mailed to your address on file 10 business days after the loan is paid off.
I’m preparing to sell my vehicle privately, how should I handle the sale?
We recommend a Bill of Sale; have it signed and notarized by both parties. A Bill of Sale can be considered a combination of an invoice and a receipt; it acts as a record of the transaction. You’ll keep a copy for your records, and the buyer will show their copy when it’s time to transfer the title to their name at their local Title Office.
I Need A Duplicate Title or Have A State or Name Change Request
For special title requests, we've partnered with MyTitleSupport to assist with processing:
- Lien satisfactions
- Duplicate titles
- State change requests, when you relocate
- Name change requests, when you legally change your name
Please note: There are fees associated with this online service; you’ll have a chance to review the fees before you place your order. Please have a debit or credit card ready to complete the request. You will receive a confirmation number which can be used to track the status of your request.
To get started, visit: www.MyTitleSupport.com or call 888.792.6240 to speak with a dedicated representative.
Special Title Request FAQs
Why do I need to use MyTitleSupport?
The Credit Union has partnered with an industry-leader in title processing and management. Our titles are processed and managed in a centralized location by representatives who have experience with handling titles in all 50 states, making the process more efficient as they’re familiar with each state’s requirements and fees.
Commonly used by other lenders, MyTitleSupport offers online and phone support for our members to submit requests, such as: duplicate titles, state changes, and name changes. Fees may apply depending on the state and request.
What information do I need to submit a request?
The following information is required to place an order:
- The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- The name of the owner listed on the title
- The state in which the vehicle is currently titled/registered
- A valid credit card number and billing address
Note: Depending on your situation, additional documentation may be required.
Can you waive the fees for requests made through MyTitleSupport (online or by phone)?
The fees are charged by MyTitleSupport, not GECU; unfortunately, we cannot waive them. MyTitleSupport services provide you with an efficient way to handle your special title requests; we don’t financially benefit from the fees you may incur.
How can I get more information about the online and phone support services?
Check out the MyTitleSupport FAQ
for details about how the service works, the expected length of time to process orders, delivery options, and more.