What is Courtesy Overdraft?
Courtesy Overdraft adds another layer of protection to your checking account and can be used alongside our other overdraft solutions (our other options may be less costly). This option can temporarily cover purchases and payments when you don't have enough available funds in your account. Unlike a line of credit, Courtesy Overdraft is not a loan and you can access the funds up to the disclosed limit for a fee.
All personal GECU checking accountholders are automatically enrolled in standard coverage; however, you can opt in/consent to our extended coverage option, which authorizes GECU to pay ATM and everyday debit card transactions on your behalf, so your transactions do not get declined or returned. Business checking accounts are automatically enrolled in extended coverage.
- Complete our secure online consent form.
- Log in to Online Banking to complete the consent form or send a Secure Email or Chat.
- Call us at: 513.243.4328/800.542.7093.
- Schedule an appointment to meet with a GECU team member at a branch.
*If you choose extended coverage, ATM withdrawals and debit card transactions will be included with the transactions listed under standard coverage (in the chart above). Business checking accounts are automatically enrolled in extended coverage.
You may discontinue the Courtesy Overdraft program in its entirety by contacting us at: 513.243.4328/800.542.7093.
How to Prevent Overdraft Fees
Ultimately, the best way to protect yourself from overdrafts and returned check fees is to know your balance and any upcoming automatic payments. We offer a variety of convenient options to check your balance before making a purchase:
- Manage your account through Online Banking and our top-rated mobile app.
- Sign up for account alerts so you always have an up-to-date understanding of your account.
- Use Debit Card Controls to control spending and monitor activity.
- Check your balance at any GECU ATM/ITM.
- Call Sourceline at: 513.243.3333/800.589.2875 to check your account balances even when we are closed.
What Else You Should Know
- Overdraft Protection Transfers or Overdraft Line of Credit may be less expensive options than an overdraft fee. Good account management is the best way to avoid overdrafts. Use our mobile app, Online Banking, and telephone banking services to keep track of your balance.
- Recipients of federal or state benefits payments who do not wish us to deduct the amount overdrawn and the Overdraft Fees from funds that you deposit or that are deposited into your account may call us at 513.243.4328/800.542.7093.
- There is a limit of five (5) fees per day on the total fees we can charge you for overdrawing your account.
- The $32 Overdraft Fee is the same fee amount that is charged if an item is returned as unpaid. If multiple items overdraw your account on the same day, each item will be assessed an Overdraft Fee or a Return Item Fee of $32. All fees and charges will be included as part of the Courtesy Overdraft limit amount. Your account may become overdrawn more than the Courtesy Overdraft limit amount because of a fee.
- If no overdraft solutions are chosen, in the event that an item is returned because the available balance in your account is not sufficient to cover the item and the item is presented for payment again, General Electric Credit Union will charge a Return Item Fee each time it returns the item because it exceeds the available balance in your account. If, on representment of the item, the available balance in your account is sufficient to cover the item GECU may pay the item, and, if payment causes an overdraft, charge an Overdraft Fee.
- This describes the posting order for purposes of determining overdrafts. Our general policy is to post items throughout the day and to post ACH credits before debits. ATM, ACH and debit card transactions are posted in the order in which the items are received, while paper checks are posted in check number order; however, because of the many ways we allow you to access your account, the posting order of individual items may differ from these general policies. Holds on funds (described herein) and the order in which transactions are posted may impact the total amount of Overdraft Fees or Return Item Fees assessed.
- Although under payment system rules, GECU may be obligated to pay some unauthorized debit card transactions, GECU will not authorize debit card or ATM transactions unless your account’s available balance (including overdraft solutions) is sufficient to cover the transactions and any fee(s).
- Giving us your consent to pay everyday debit card and ATM overdrafts on your consumer account (extended coverage) may result in you incurring Overdraft Fees for transactions we would otherwise be required to pay without assessing an Overdraft Fee. This would allow us to authorize transactions up to the amount of your Courtesy Overdraft limit and may also help you avoid overdrafts in excess of your available balance. If you consent to extended coverage on your consumer account, it will remain on your account until it is otherwise withdrawn.
- GECU authorizes and pays transactions using the available balance in your account. GECU may place a hold on deposited funds in accordance with our Deposit Account Disclosures, which will reduce the amount in your available balance. The available balance for checks, ACH items, and recurring debit card transactions is comprised of the available balance shown on your account, plus the amount of the Courtesy Overdraft limit and any available Overdraft Protection. The available balance for ATM and everyday debit card transactions on accounts with standard coverage is the available balance, less any holds on deposited funds and any debit card holds, plus any available overdraft solutions, but does NOT include the Courtesy Overdraft limit. For accounts with extended coverage, the Courtesy Overdraft limit is included in the available balance for authorizing ATM and everyday debit card transactions.
- Be aware that the Courtesy Overdraft amount is not included in your available balance provided through: Online Banking, our mobile app, or at GECU ATMs/ITMs.
- GECU will place a hold on your account for any authorized debit card transaction until the transaction settles (usually within two business days) or as permitted by payment system rules. In some cases, the hold may exceed the amount of the transaction. When the hold ends, the funds will be added to the available balance in your account. If your account is overdrawn after the held funds are added to the available balance and the transaction is posted to the available balance, an Overdraft Fee may be assessed.
- Except as described herein, GECU will not pay items if the available balance in your account (including overdraft solutions and the Courtesy Overdraft limit, if applicable) is not sufficient to cover the item(s) and the amount of any fee(s).
- New member accounts will receive a $100 introductory Courtesy Overdraft limit at account opening that will be increased to $500 after 30 days in good standing and a $250 introductory Courtesy Overdraft limit for business accounts that will be increased to $750 after 30 days in good standing.
- Courtesy Overdraft is not a line of credit; it is a discretionary overdraft service that can be withdrawn any time without prior notice.
- Courtesy Overdraft may be suspended if you default on any loan or other obligation to us, your account becomes subject to any legal or administrative order or levy, or if you fail to maintain your account in good standing by not bringing your account to a positive balance within 32 days for a minimum of one business day. You must bring your account balance positive for at least one business day to have the full Courtesy Overdraft limit reinstated.
- Depositor and each Authorized Signatory will continue to be liable, jointly and severally, for all overdraft and fee amounts, as described in the Deposit Account Disclosures. The total (negative) balance, including all fees and charges, is due and payable upon demand.
If you have any questions about our overdraft solutions or Courtesy Overdraft, please call us at: 513.243.4328/800.542.7093 or visit a branch.
Back to Top