- November 14, 2022
- Posted by General Electric Credit Union
- 4 read
Ways to Give Back During the Holiday Season
During the hustle and bustle of the holidays, we are often reminded about the importance of giving back to others in need. Keep in mind, giving back doesn’t just mean monetary donations; there are a variety of different ways you can help including: volunteering your time, providing resources, donating items, or even “doubling the power” of your holiday shopping through various programs. However, you might not know where to begin. It only takes a caring heart, the desire to do good, and kind gestures or actions to ensure others will have a merry holiday season. Here are a few suggestions to get started!
- Volunteer at a local, non-profit organization. There are many organizations who need volunteers during the holidays and throughout the year. You might consider volunteering at a soup kitchen, helping a local food pantry or free store, or spending time with residents at a senior care facility or nursing home. These hands-on efforts may mean those in need have a nice meal this holiday season, a warm coat or winter wardrobe, or a moment of companionship for an elderly person who may not have many visitors.
- Help a neighbor. As the cold weather sets in, simple acts of kindness are greatly appreciated by anyone with mobility issues. This could be raking leaves, returning garbage cans to a garage, or shoveling snow from an elderly neighbor’s driveway and sidewalk.
- Donate food, toys, or clothing. There are a multitude of charitable organizations that take new or gently used clothing and toys, as well as perishable food items. Consider donating items you no longer use, that are in good condition, during the holidays. Alternatively, while you’re doing your holiday shopping, pick up a new coat for a child or an extra toy to donate.
- Adopt a family for the holiday season. Many non-profit organizations sponsor holiday Adopt-a-Family programs. This is a great family or small group activity. Your generous, heartfelt donations will mean memorable, holiday experiences for families in need.
- Choose gifts that give a little extra. There are numerous companies that stand behind the “Buy One, Give One” philosophy. As you’re buying gifts this holiday season, think about purchasing from a company that supports one-for-one giving such as Bombas, One World Play Project, TOMS, Twice as Warm, and many others. This will stretch your gift giving dollars a little further when shopping.
Giving back is easy and can be done in a variety of ways. But taking time to spread cheer this holiday season means so much to those in need. It’s also an excellent way to spend meaningful time with your loved ones, in service of those less fortunate. If you’re looking for a volunteer opportunity, see the list below of several organizations GECU has partnered with in the past.
- La Soupe: Food Rescue & Community Kitchen, 915 East McMillan Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45206.
- Hope’s Closet: Store for foster children/families, 9850 Princeton Glendale Road - Suite C, Cincinnati, Ohio 45246.
- Toys for Tots: Toy collection and distribution for families in need – Click here for a drop-off location near you.
- Welcome House: Adopt-a-Family Program, 205 West Pike Street, Covington, Kentucky 41011.
If you volunteer with any of the organizations above, tell us about it by emailing GECU Cares at: [email protected] #GECUCares