Skip to main content

General Electric Credit Union

Mortgage Assistance

Mortgage help and repayment options.

You're not alone. If you're having trouble paying your mortgage, we're here to help.

Available Programs Contact Us
mortgage assistance image

Life doesn't always go as planned. 

General Electric Credit Union understands you may from time to time experience financial hardship, making it difficult to make your mortgage payment on time. It's important to consider all available options before risking possible foreclosure. We offer a variety of options to help you stay in your home and make payments more affordable.

Options to Stay in Your Home

  • Reinstatement: Avoid foreclosure by bringing your mortgage current if you can show you have funds that will become available at a specific date in the future. You'll pay the total delinquent amount you owe, in a lump sum payment by a specific date or pay less than the total amount owed followed by a forbearance plan. 
  • Repayment Plan: Allows you time to catch up on late payments without having to come up with a lump sum. You'll pay back your past-due payments together with your regular payments over an extended period of time.
  • Deferment: Provides the opportunity to get back on track after a short interruption in making your monthly payment. After making full loan payments each month over several consecutive months, the loan is brought current. 
  • Interest Only Payments: Catch up on the interest due and re-establish a record of making payments at a reduced rate. Once the interest is caught up, regular payments will resume. 
  • Forbearance Plan: Gives you time to improve your financial situation and possibly qualify for a better option than would be available right now. You'll make reduced mortgage payments or no mortgage payments for a specific period of time. 
  • Modification: Permanently modifies your mortgage so that your payments or terms are more manageable as a permanent solution to a long-term or permanent hardship. You'll complete a "trial period," that requires payment of the approximate amount of the modified payment. 

Options to Leave Your Home

  • Short Sale: Allows you to transition out of your home without going through foreclosure. You'll sell your home and pay off a portion of your mortgage balance when you owe more on your home than it is worth. 
  • Deed-in Lieu of Foreclosure: Provides the opportunity to transition out of your home without going through foreclosure. You'll transfer ownership of your property to your financial institution. 

We Want to Help

If you're struggling or feel you're in danger of missing your mortgage payments, take action now and gain control of your housing situation. Contact us at: 513.243.4328 or 800.542.7093 (option 5). 

Get started with our Mortgage Assistance Application

In order to assist you with your loan, please complete, sign, and return the entire Mortgage Assistance Application, along with all other applicable documents required to complete the application process (see below). We'll conduct a thorough review of your current financial situation and the hardship you're experiencing so we can determine what options might be available to you. Please note: 

  • All signers on the loan must complete or be included in the Mortgage Assistance Application, as well as any documents from the Required Documentation Checklist. If you have filed bankruptcy or been discharged in a bankruptcy, please review all agreements with your bankruptcy counsel.
  • Make sure the Member Certification and Agreement is notarized.
  • Complete the IRS Form 4506-T.
  • Required documentation checklist:
    • Proof of income for the past 45 days, including: pay stubs, income statements, or profit and loss statements.
      • Please provide a recent bank statement to confirm your income if you do not receive pay stubs and your source of income is deposited directly into your checking or savings account. (e.g. SSI, Disability Income, Allotment).
    • A copy of your most recent checking or savings account statements (two months, all accounts).
    • Homeowners’ Insurance declaration page.
    • Copy of your most current property tax bill.
    • Most recent retirement/401k statement.
    • Most recent Social Security/SSI/SSDI and/or pension benefit award letter(s).
    • Signed IRS Form 4506-T.
  • Additional documentation (where applicable):
    • Lease agreement on rental properties.
    • Unemployment benefit award letter. Notice of layoff, termination, or furlough from employer.
    • Divorce, separation, child support, death certificate. Note: If you receive child support, alimony, or separation maintenance income, you are not required by law to report it. You should only include this amount if you would like it to be included in the income calculation.
    • A copy of the sales and contract or purchase agreement (Short Sales). A copy of the Listing Agreement of the property.
    • Written authorization to discuss your account with your real estate professional, attorney, POA, etc.

Beware of Foreclosure Rescue Scams

Scammers have stolen millions of dollars from distressed homeowners by promising immediate relief from foreclosure, or demanding cash for counseling services when HUD approved counseling agencies provide the same services for free. If you receive an offer, information, or advice that sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Don't let them take advantage of you, your situation, your house, or your money. Remember, help is free.

Beware of a company or person who:

  • Asks for a fee in advance to work with your lender to modify, refinance, or reinstate your mortgage.
  • Guarantees they can stop a foreclosure or get your loan modified.
  • Advises you to stop paying your mortgage company and pay them instead.
  • Pressures you to sign over the deed to your home or sign any paperwork that you haven't had a chance to read, and you don't fully understand.
  • Claims to offer government approved or official government loan modifications.
  • Asks you to release personal financial information online or over the phone and you have not been working with this person and/or do not know them.

To report a scam: 

  • Go to and fill out the Loan Modification Scam Prevention Network’s (LMSPN) complaint form online and get more information on how to fight back. Note: you can also fill out this form and send to the fax number/e-mail/address (your choice!) on the back of the form.
  • Call 888.995.4673 and tell the counselor about your situation and that you believe you got scammed or know of a scam.

Additional Resources

For additional information about preventing foreclosure, avoiding fraud scams, and accessing approved counseling at no cost to you.

Mortgage Assistance FAQs

Will it cost money to get help?
There should never be a fee from your lender or qualified counselor to obtain assistance or information about foreclosure prevention options. However, foreclosure prevention has become a target for scam artists. Be wary of companies or individuals offering to help you for a fee, and never send a mortgage payment to any company other than the one listed on your monthly mortgage statement or one designated to receive your payments under a state assistance program.
What is foreclosure?
Forfeiture of your home through a legal process where your mortgage company repossesses the property and you will have to move. This process may involve an eviction, you may remain liable for your first lien mortgage debt and it may be as long as seven years before you are eligible for another mortgage loan.
Will the foreclosure process begin if I do not respond to my lender’s notices regarding missed payments?
If you do not respond to your lender’s notices to you regarding past due payments, your lender may refer your loan to foreclosure in accordance with your mortgage loan documents and applicable law.
Should I still contact my lender if I have waited too long and my property has been referred to an attorney for foreclosure?
Yes, the sooner the better!
What if my property is scheduled for a foreclosure sale in the future?
If your lender receives a complete Mortgage Assistance Application and the supporting documents it requires with only 37 or fewer calendar days before a scheduled foreclosure sale, there is no guarantee it can evaluate you for a foreclosure alternative in time to stop the foreclosure sale. Even if the lender is able to approve you for a foreclosure alternative prior to a sale, a court with jurisdiction over the foreclosure proceeding (if any) or public official charged with carrying out the sale may not halt the scheduled sale.
Will my property be sold at a foreclosure sale if I accept a foreclosure alternative?
No. The property will not be sold at a foreclosure sale if you accept an offer for an alternative to foreclosure and comply with all requirements.

Back to Top